A day in Haiti is always difficult to explain. It’s a question we get asked a surprising number of times. Life here is different everyday.
I often think, what is the most important thing I need to be doing here in Haiti. Is it running the Guest House? Is it helping with Haitian Creations? Is it talking with the guests?
I really liked what Devon said on her blog in which she describes her story:
We live once. We have the ability to Love – the loveless, and to heal people with our words and our actions. I want to continually seek the lost, because I have been found. Amazing grace, that saved a wretch like me.
Here is a detailed look at what happened today:
- Got up (6a) to help with breakfast at the Guest House - Thought I would help Melissa since she usually does it!
- Choose a new verse from my daily reading to add to the dining room white board.
- Fixed the bathtub that almost overflowed last night while a guest was taking a shower. Yikes! Had a complaint/suggestion about the bathrooms from another group – so looked at how to clean them better. Melissa/Majorie took over that project.
- Quickly answered some guests questions on e-mail about Haiti.
- Went to get coke, groceries, ice for dinner tonight.
- Filled up gas in the truck. Was stopped outside our gate for some time because of a car stuck in the ditch which made for blocked traffic.
- Worked on the Run For Life Haiti website.
- Headed to one of our workers houses for her birthday. (Very interesting… hopefully blog post later!) We are helping her through high school and I ended up helping her on some math problems.
- Came back to work with Troy on the website.
- Guests arrived back at the guest house and had some questions. They have been a great group!
- While others were eating dinner – Fixed toilet upstairs because it was leaking and making noises which kept the guests up last night.
- Dinner – Shared about what God is doing in Haiti. Told a few stories. Tried to calm some fears about malaria in Haiti.
- Helped Melissa clean up dinner.
- Came back to our apartment at 8p.
- Took my weekly shower (just kidding – it’s monthly ).
- Melissa and I had time together and prayed together.
- Melissa headed to bed.
- Went through unanswered email from my personal and heartline email account.
- Finished adding mobile functionality to heartlineministries.org website. This is just a fun side project for me.
- Writing this post (12p right now), sent a tweet on twitter and then headed to bed.
I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world – Mother Teresa
For the Minnesota and midwest friends:
Love the expression on their faces, to funny: