You need residency if you are going to live in Haiti over 3 months. When you enter the country, the green piece of paper they give you at customs is basically your 3 month visa. After that you are technically illegal citizen of Haiti. I have heard people staying over this 3 month limit and not having any issues exiting the country. Though, I recently heard they will be cracking down on this. So what do you do?
You can either:
- Leave the country every 3 months and re-enter so that your passport is stamped again and thus being legal.
- Get your residency in Haiti.
What you’ll need
From the states we brought:
- Birth certificate
- Passport (obviously)
- Police report (local or state)
- We brought our college transcripts but they weren’t needed
Here in Haiti we did the following:
- Bank account
- Doctor visit
- Letter thanking them for considering us
We used a guy to help us through the process. If you go this route you will pay double the cost but it is exponentially easier. At the time, we paid around $300/person.
*Update* Found this page which seems very accurate: http://haiti.usembassy.gov/service/useful-information/information-on-obtaining-a-permis-de-sejour.html
Posted in: Moving to Haiti